Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What is your musical era?




I am definitely a product of the 60s. I think I first became aware of music, other than that of my parents, (read… polka, big band, the Lennon Sisters...) around 1963, I was 12-13 years old.
 
It was about that time that the Beatles were going to be on Ed Sullivan for the first time. I was sitting in front of the TV an hour before Ed was to come on. Of course, I was not allowed to have the television on until it was time for the program, but I had to take my front row seat on the floor, as if someone would take it if I didn’t.  When it was time mom, dad and my brother, came in to the living room, I turned on the tv (had to get up and walk across the room back then!)……. nothing happened!!!!  No power to the tube!!! I was frantic, on the verge of being the only 13 year old girl in the nation who did not get to see the Beatles on television. There may have been tears involved.

I was trying to think who else on the block might let me watch their TV. My dad was laughing……I was not amused.   In his sick and depraved humor Dad unplugged the television. He and my brother thought it was hilarious.  However, I think deep down and in a different way, my parents were as interested as I was to see and hear the Beatles.
 
Of course the Beatles were not my only musical preference.  I feel like I went through a wide variety of artists within that teenage music genre of pop music. My very first concert ever was ~1966, it featured the Temptations with BB King opening for them.  Now that was music folks! 

Over the years my concert attendance became pretty varied. 
Some of you may have longer lists.  Some of theses were better choices than others, but it all adds to life experience…..

Temptations with BB King opening  (1960s)
BB King (as a headliner) (1990s)
Jim Morrison & the Doors (1970s maybe??)
Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes
(1970s maybe??)
 Mac Davis and Ann Murray (circa 1970)
Creedance  Clearwater Revival (circa 1970)
Beach Boys with appearance  by Stevie Nicks (1980s)
Whitney Houston (1990s)
Barry  Manilow (1990s)
Tina Turner (4 times) Woo!! (80s, 90s 00s)
MC Hammer (Hee!)
Melissa Ethridge (twice)
Cher with opening  act Cyndi Lauper
Jimmy Buffet
Janet Jackson
Kelly Clarkson
Lynyrd Skynyrd

See what I mean about a wide range.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You have seen a lot of concerts. That's pretty awesome.
    I think I've only been to the one. It was about '77 and The Eagles were playing in Toronto.
    There was a lot of this funny 'smoke' in the air. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete