Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hauling the scoot

The  project in my head right now is the design of a rack that fits the RV to safely carry 2 scooters.


This is one of them.
I know that there are motorcycle racks made for this purpose, but I have an aversion to paying upwards of $900 to get one and then pay more for necessary accessories to make it work. 

JoeHauler.com makes this one.

 I do have a cousin who is a welder. So with dimensions and a "sort of design" I plan to take this project to him.  If he can do it for under the retail price, I am so there.
 It needs to be possible to handle getting a scooter off and on by one person, if needed. These scooters weigh about 225 lbs. each. So I am thinking a design that allows the channel where the tires sit to angle to the ground and then level out and lock as the scooter gets properly seated at the front of the tire channel.  Considerations need to be made for the tongue weight of the hitch too.

We'll see. 
All for for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment