Friday, June 22, 2012

Water aerobics, Visa Gift Cards, missing wallets, and I would like to pick up……….



What a day….
Along with a friend I have started an early morning water aerobics class.  I have done this in the past but grew tired of getting ready for work in the locker room.  Now that I do not have to be bothered with that work issue I decided to begin again.  Sitting waiting to get in the pool a woman came up to us and said, “So we have new people here.”  We along with two other women admitted that we just signed up for the new session.  She didn’t introduce herself, but told us to stick close to her.  I thought oh that is nice she wants to help out the newbies.  We get in the water and the women says, “You.  There.  I want you in front of me.” “ I’m fine here, thanks.”   “No you need to be over here so I can show you how to do this.”  “No, really, I will just stay here, I’m good.”   But she insisted and I relented. Turns out she was the instructor!  Who knew?  But really even in front of her I couldn’t tell what she was doing because she was in the water.  Not a great start for me at 6 in the morning.

Have you ever tried to return something you purchased on a Visa Gift Card?  Well I should actually be more specific. The return went smoothly…..I think. When you purchase something on a Visa Gift Card the receipt shows what your balance is.  This is not so on a return receipt.  Since I have not used a Visa Gift Card before, I was not leaving the store until I was certain that the amount of the return was placed back on my card. I called the number on the back of the card. I reached someone who had a very difficult to understand (for me) foreign accent and who spoke very quickly.  I kindly asked him to slow down as I could not understand him. He talked over me as if he couldn’t hear that I was talking.  He did not slow down; I had to ask him several times to repeat what he had said.  “Ma’am, he said, listen to me.”  I told him that I was listening and I could hear him but I could not understand what he was saying.  You may wish to draw your own conclusion about the return transaction at this point as I did.  He hung up on me. 
On to complete some grocery shopping, I actually remembered to toss the cooler in the car since it was 92° and still before 9am.  Good to go!  I was happy to be shopping for all fresh veggies and fruits and also pretty happy to have found a naturally fed, free range chicken before they sold out!  Also happy as I was able to find a second swimsuit while the season is here (not to be deterred in the least by the water aerobics police).  Checked out, got in the car, decided to get some money out to purchase some gas and could not find my wallet.  Immediate PANIC!  I quickly check the floor, the bags, the glove box.  Not there. I run (60 year old woman run) back into the store. My cart is exactly where left it….empty. The woman cleaning two feet from it doesn’t know anything, the check-out personnel….nothing, the service desk…..nothing.  REAL  PANIC!!!    I run/walk back to my car. I began dumping bags out and there wrapped up in my new black swimsuit is my black wallet.  I think I heard trumpets….and by the way who put that in there? Did the checkout person charge me for and bag it?  I’m sure I didn’t do it…Whatever…….
I continued….. I got my money out to pay for gas and moved on. But I was still coming down from that major panicky feeling.  I told myself just go home and stay there!  But I was passing by the Veterinary and needed hair ball medicine for the kitties.  One more stop would be ok.  Pulled in, reached for my wallet and couldn’t find it. What?  Where did it go now?  I was not quite as panicked as I was the first time, but it was certainly disconcerting that I couldn’t just reach over and pick it up.  Oh, now someone is just playing with me and put it in the center console. I never put my billfold there.   What the hell? Now I knew I needed to go home and stay there.
I was in the parking lot at the veterinary so it would be silly not to go in and get the hairball medicine.  I patiently wait my turn and the young woman asks “How can I help you?”  “I need to get some ……………………, it’s for my cats…………… It’s…....”  “You need some cat food?” the young lady asks in a very helpful way.  “No, wait, it will come to me, you see I have had a difficult morning.”  Eureka! “Hairball Medicine!”    
I sped home and sat down.
The entire morning was very disconcerting.  I am happy to report that my memory has returned.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! It's bad when you start playing practical jokes on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW! My one follower made a comment and it is the blogger I aspire to be!! I'm so excited. Thanks Annie/Roxanne or Roxanne/Annie...however you wish that to work.

      Delete