Friday, June 1, 2012

Shelving it.




I don’t have the slightest idea if anyone will ever read this blog.  After all I am not sure that I do anything interesting to anyone else but me.  However, with that thought firmly implanted in my brain I move forward resolutely and promise to post, as long as I have some sort of internet access to do so, something of my life in retirement and I will try to do this at least 3 times a week. 

My last day of work was May 29th.  As ironic as it feels to me, given that I was so excited, I was sad to see it end.  I was humbled by the number of people who stopped by my office to wish me well.  I was surprised that a few people actually cried. I was one of them.   

Weird, I know. But I am now done with working full-time.  I loved my job for the greater part of 25 years and I will miss the people and the students.

Onward and upward.

On my first actually day of not working, it is sort of odd that I jumped right in working on building 8 feet of shelving in my garage.  I mean that I didn’t open a box and get out the directions; I actually bought wood and screws and built them from scratch. I have to say that I am so happy with them I believe I will build 8 more feet. 

 I did learn that I am not as physically strong as I believe myself to be.  Of course, some of it may have been due to coupling the carpentry with prep for a colonoscopy the next day. Some may know what this includes; one thing is you are allowed nothing but clear liquids for 24 hours prior and the rest would be….well….just TMI.   So with no food and an ever so slight hangover, due to some Left Handed beer the night before, I just did it.
 
I'm not sure why these are called horses.  Hmmmm....

Working by myself I had to get ingenious with finding extra "hands".



Finished product




No comments:

Post a Comment